Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son has very high scholarship but does not enjoy playing lacrosse as much as he used to. He says all the players are changing their majors to easier ones because it's too hard. The coaches make them practice more than they're supposed to and are very hard on them. He would love to quit but can't due to financial reasons. Boys at Ivies are getting no financial help. My question is if a kid not getting much money, why would he stay on the team? It's a full time job with no pay. Once you get in, you're in, so it makes sense to focus on academics, not dead end lacrosse.

Kids at Ivies, those who need it at least, are getting tons of financial help -- it just isn't tied to lacrosse. And the Ivy League schools have pretty strict rules regarding things like commitment during the off-season and weekly limits on practice time. It's a shame that all schools don't do the same. There's no reason why a dead-end, non-revenue sport should ever be a full-time job (which it is for many).

The NESCAC schools are pretty good about this too.

Yes, I know you get financial help at the Ivies, but you need to have limited assets and a combined salary well under 200k. This is rare for lax players. Every student who attends these schools is treated the same when it comes to aid. It's strictly need based. The lacrosse is what gets you in. Once you're there if you hate it, or its interfering with academic, quit. You won't be losing anything.