Very much agree with age based. The thing nobody mentions is the emotional and pscyhological toll on these young kids in high school and college when the reality hits them squarely in the face that they really aren't as elite or good as they were led to believe their whole life by their parents pushing them.

I see it now in young boys that have dominated their whole young life from 1st grade to middle school becuase they were always older. Or the kid that was a stud high school/club player in and then can't get off the bench at Penn State. There are several local boys form Philly that went to Penn State and I haven't heard their names since they signed their letters of intent.

Until recently it looked to me like alot of the Haverford School boys didn't have the same success in college that they did in high school. While HS boys teams are always tops in the country, what is the emotional and psychological toll when they sit on the bench for their whole college career. Do they quit the team, do the drop out of college, do they leave the sport, there really is no data that I am aware of; howver, there has to be collateral damage from always being the best, fastest, biggest and then one day waking up and facing the reality that the sport you once thought you were "the man" you really aren't.

It needs to be age based as I am guessing it is the parents holding back these kids and not the kids going to their parents and saying "hey dad can I repeat 9th grade so I can kick butt on the lacrosse field, I am cool with my friends thinking I must be really dumb to have to repeat a grade...."