Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why is this soap opera discussion of holdbacks playing out on the Chammy thread? Can we please come to our senses and get back to unfairly bashing the elitist Chammy blowhards? Let's stay on topic here!!!!!

Me thinks the under tone is directed towards chaminade's latest practice of accepting high profile holdbacks. And how a good portion of the elitist (your words not mine) did the pre first hold back to give little Johnny the upper hand.

The early holdback (pre-1st grade or kindergarten) thing happens in public schools as well and has happened since at least the 90s, especially in our more well-to-do towns. Back when I played, Garden City's team always had a few kids who were basically a year older than everyone else, with some graduating at 19 or very close to it. They bought beer without any worries a year before everyone else could once we all got to college (I didn't realize that holdbacks were even a thing until I got to college). Though nothing beats the hockey guys, who always had at least one freshman that was 21-22 (anyone who played at an Ivy or NE school can vouch for me here).

All of that said, I'm still very disappointed that Chaminade appears to be involved in this holdback bullsh*t. The whole "repeating 8th grade" thing is definitely not something that we can all be proud of, and as such should really be looked at.

Anyone in this thread a current parent? Is it really this prevalent, or just the usual smack-talking of parents from other towns/schools?