Originally Posted by Anonymous
To the guys who consider this cheating, etc.: wake up! It happens all the time in the lax world and more and more on Long Island. Georgetown has a freshman who was born in 1996. He repeated the 9th grade ( transferred from public to private) and then did a PG year. Kid started his freshman year at age 20. Worked out for him -- he rec'd an athletic scholarship to one of the best academic schools in the US. Cheating or smart?

Cheating

Relax. This holdback thing is starting to bare the fruit I've always thought it would.
Current 2016 College Freshman at ACC school, not from LI, from parts south. Kid is from one of the two holdback hotbed areas, won't say which, as I don't want to out the kid on here.
Was ranked in the top 40 of incoming Freshman by both dopey Ty and IL.
Well, fall ball started and the Coaches were less than impressed. Kid didn't even make the team, cut in fall ball.
I've never understood these Coaches who believe that a kid who has played down his whole HS life, will suddenly thrive in an environment where he now has to play up and standout???
I imagine that this is happening all across D1 this fall. As the first super early holdback recruits hit the turf. I suspect many will never see the field and others will be gone in fall ball of sophomore year. Sure, some will do well and thrive.
However, overall, I predict we will start to see the tide turn on these holdbacks and double holdbacks. As whole, they will not pan out.
I further believe you will start to see more upsets and non-traditional teams in the top 20. Let's face it, if Molloy didn't get hurt, Brown would have won it all last year.
Let's keep watching and see if I'm right...

quite a leap to corral the whole concept of hold backs as a pending failure based on one player. I do not see this singular event being a cause for universities to pull back from recruiting from the growing masses of single and double hold backs. They are in it to win it as it were. we just have to hope that kids who are age on and are at the top of their game with their peers continue to do so at the next level. I for one am proud of my age appropriate son who fortunately has been able to contend with the hold backs in his class and secure a coveted spot at a great institution in spite of the crowd of super hold backs he competed against.