Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a new parent to the game (parent of a 6th grader) I hopefully have one simple question that can be answered. Why are tryouts so early? I understand most teams are year round now so maybe they want to have teams for fall ball but the reality is -- at 6th, 7th and 8th grade these boys and girls can grow and gain tremendous size and speed over the course of 10 months. From what I have seen some of the summer tourneys ended in July and the summer teams started in June. Having tryouts in August/Sept for the following summer when kids will basically be 10 months older seems silly.
Every year teams recruit kids that end up getting left behind because they haven't developed over the season, and other players who made the team as a backup becomes a star because they grew 6" and picked up more speed and ability than the rest. But as stated, practices already started, and many teams will do fall tournaments and winter training. The issue that I have is that these interfere with fall sports, and every college coach agrees that they want kids that play in more than one sport.

Best sport for any lax player is basketball and the winter still has box but it's a great season to play another sport and basketball and lacrosse really help each other's game.