Originally Posted by Anonymous
My advice, and I have been around sports at a very competitive level my entire life as a player any coach.
1. Find the club that fits your family's needs. That could be a hyper-competitive team, and if your child's goal is to play division 1 lacrosse this is what you could want. And, don't get me wrong, you don't HAVE to do this to play d1.
2. If your family is looking for a team that will provide opportunities to play a game they love but you aren't really concerned about being hyper-competitive (that is not for everyone) then find a nice B level team.
3. Have your kids play multiple sports, and this should happen all the way through HS. Cross training is not only good for developing an all around good athlete, it gives the kid a chance to develop skills that will help their "primary" sport. For example, basketball helps with footwork in lacrosse. I also wholeheartedly believe kids need a break from every sport from time to time. One sport kids who are pushed by over zealous parents have a very high burn out rate.
4. Most importantly make sure your kid is hitting the books more than they are concentrating on any sport. Very few kids we be professional athletes and the real scholarship money is given for academics.

As we are all looking for the "perfect" club for our kids, I wish you all the best. Some of the best conversations I have had with my kids have happened in the car on the way to or home from practices/games/tournaments. I just love watching my kids grow and learn and MOST importantly love the sports they are playing. There is nothing better than being part of a team, good luck finding the one that suits your needs!

Excellent post, well said.