Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
I'm guessing this is the best thread to discuss my ongoing "study" of the Long Island 2013 class and, as a class, where they stand today in regards to their lacrosse careers. This is the third year I have posted this.

USA Lacrosse has found that roughly 50% of all recruited players are playing the game of lacrosse by their senior year. Long Island players in 2013 were at 58% with 43% playing significant minutes in a game. The remaining 15% played some minutes in a limited role.

There was a huge movement of players who no longer play from sophomore to junior year, which is expected. Playing time, school work and possible injury without a red shirt figures into this number, which is 28%. It was 8% last year.

The remaining 14% were redshirt or injury reflected by little or no playing time.

These numbers will adjust downward by next year if trends continue. The overall number should still be greater than the 50% average, but that is also expected as Long Island has more quality players as compared with the lacrosse group as a whole nationwide.

Just a little food for thought for anyone going through the recruiting process in high school. There are so many non-lacrosse variables to think about and don't lose sight of that.

Just one more year of crunching numbers! Whew!

GREAT STUFF! What this shows again is that once these kids become young adults they start making their own decisions to mommy and daddies dismay and half CHOOSE not to play. Parents need to be aware of this when they keep pushing and pushing. FIFTY PERCENT wont finish college playing THATS A FACT. 1 out of 2 will quit before the graduate.

Pick a school that best fits your child's academic and social needs because when they stop playing, will they want to finish out their degree at the school they are attending????????????????

Do these stats only apply to D1 athletes or are all 3 divisions included?

All divisions. Percentages by division do not vary, which I thought was interesting.