Originally Posted by Anonymous
I do not get it. If a family decides to holdback a child, why is it a huge advantage? A child on age may be 9 months older than a child in their grade. No one is complaining about kids who meet the cut-off being 9 months younger than the September birthdays. It's splitting hairs. All of these kids are going to be in high school and playing against athletes 3 or 4 years older. The way I see it is parents are placing too much emphasis on youth sports and need to realize it all balances out in high school. The unfortunate side is that there are stigmas placed on the child. So, leave the kids out of it and just encourage your child to do his best. No matter who he is facing. If there is a glass half full: They are getting prepared to play in high school.

Well its really the kid who is 18 months older then the youngest kid is the biggest issue. And when you see 30 or so 2020 kids already Verbal to D1 schools it is a big advantage. If you switch over and read the 2018 forum you will see that this class is already more then half way full at the D1 level. So these kids are 15 to 16 years old some 17 if they held back. So can you see the advantage yet. If you think about it they had to see these kids who Verbaled play at least 3 or more times. Over that time frame of a year or two. So if they are able to match up with a kid 18 months younger then them and show well you see how it works out.

30 kids out of how many??? Those kids are special, Holdback or not! The colleges they committed to know their ages and still committed. They see something special...Not a holdback!

So you want to tell me how many of these special kids are also holdbacks. Or kids who started late? And you could be correct about this first 30 but what about the next 30 or the 30 after that. Its a very tricky process with how you play when this coach shows up to see you play. You will never be able to tell me its not a advantage. We can argue about how much of a advantage but it is a clear help to be held back.