I wish all clubs would be a little more transparent- especially on the older end- 7th and up. If you are keeping the majority of the team from last year and are only looking for one attack, 2 defense and possibly a back up goalie or one or two middies... then let the kids know going into the try out what their shot is at making the team. A strong, but not stand out player may decide to go try out with a team that has more openings. I also hope the clubs are true to their word this year and inform players within a certain number of days whether they made the team or not. If the kid is on the bubble and the club is waiting to see if they get commitments or not- just tell the kid- you are the next up, the third on the list etc. Be real- the kids need to learn from their try outs and know where they stand so they can continue on to try out for other teams and not be strung along in hopes it will work out or in silence. My son was issued an invitation from his second try out, after he did not make the club of his choice- but his friend did not get an invitation for almost a month later. That is a long time to make a kid wait and wonder and not tell them a thing.