Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think we are losing track of the argument here. Your assertion that the schools that ER have not been successful just simply doesnt have any merit, but that is a completely separate argument than whether or not these schools are getting all the best kids. Again the talent pool is so vast and expanded now, youre starting to see the parity youre seeing. The statement that JHU should win with their 3rd line is asinine and they deserved to be in the tourney and yes they did get their doors blown in by Brown. Brown is a perfect example of superior coaching BTW. Lars Tiffany took some very talented players and implemented a system that fit their skillsets the best and hes run with it all year. This is direct contrast to Breschi and Starsia. Breschi and Starsia have had the talent, but havent figured out how to implement a style that fits those kids the best. Oh and Lyle Thompson is a sick athlete, he can dunk a basketball and runs like a deer plus all the attributes you mentioned. I dont know what your stake in this is, but I can tell you my son was not an ER, and I dont necessarily agree with the practice but I dont think we can say with any degree of certainty what effect if any it has had at the college level

The point is, if you allow yourself to see it is: These school do not have the talent they thought they had. Plain and simple.
The reason the best College Basketball teams are consistently at the top is because they continue to get the BEST kids. You could resurrect John Wooden, have him Coach at NYU, guess what they're NEVER winning a National Championship. Without the best players, all the Coaching in the world won't matter.
In Lacrosse we ARE definitely seeing the effects of ER, combined with the recruitment of holdbacks and double holdbacks. Many of these holdback ARE the early recruits. A great majority have been going to 4 or 5 schools for the last 4 or 5 years. It is not paying off. Schools that waited a bit longer, have kids that are just as good if not better than those ER kids. Lastly, from what I see, Brown has a great fogo that gets the ball to an insane attack line. Molloy dodges from behind. He either blows by his man or the double and scores, if that doesn't work he feeds. How in the world did Tiffany ever come up with that ground breaking system??? If Molloy can't play today or plays and isn't 100%, and Brown still wins, I'll tip my cap to Tiffany.

As for Brown, youre only seeing part of what they do. Everything they do is uptempo and fast. Their poles stay on the field and play offense and rarely do you see them settle into a 6 v 6 offense. Larken Kemp their LSM was just voted an AA, there is no way that kid is an AA in the ACC. Tiffany put that kid in the perfect system for him to succeed. Yes the FOGO is very good and gets them possessions, but again without the system they play they would settle into a 6v6 offense and play just like everyone else. They did beat Navy without Molloy and Navy is a pretty dam good defensive team. Nobody said what Tiffany is doing is groundbreaking, he is just simply putting his kids in the best positions for them to be successful which is what a good coach does.