Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
Very sad women's lacrosse getting very little playoff play anywhere in the media

You can't justify putting it on television when no one watches. If you watched the games online, you saw that very few of these games had a lot of fans there. The Stanford- James Madison game had about 50 people watching in that gigantic stadium. I enjoy watching the girls game more than the boys but I'm the minority. Only the final four draws fans and that's a shame.

Same thing with Syracuse. Playing a game in the Carrier Dome, even with 200 fans, is an empty feeling. I've seen regular season games with less than 50 people at The Dome. It's like playing in a cave.

We are all passionate about the sport but it is a niche sport. ESPN3 or ESPNU will stream the games but even the production values, and announcers, are fourth rate. For 99.9% of the student-athletes this is game they finish after graduating. Use the sport as a tool to get your student into the best academic situation; it's certainly not a career.
I am one of the rare adults that actually had the pleasure to play lacrosse when I was younger, and I remember being thrilled to see 50 people in the stands to watch us play. That being said, I blame the parents at the younger levels for the slow growth of woman's lax. They are the most obnoxious, selfish fans in any sport. Don't dare not agree with them because they will shame you by calling you a pedophile, or a loser for watching a girls game when they don't have a daughter involved. Not exactly the most welcoming atmosphere. Either that or they're loudly bragging about there kid or screaming like an idiot for them to " go to goal" every time there kid gets a touch. Unbearable! So please don't come on here upset no one goes to games, make it a better place. That and the rules need to be fixed and the refs need to be better.

Actually women's lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the US for the past several years as verified by the NCAA.
As for the culture it is quite good with exemptions of course as is with any sport. Women's lacrosse attendance at the final four is great and playoff games and top regular season games are all well attended. HS games here on LI have good attendance numbers as well for the better programs.
If you played lacrosse and enjoy the game then by all means you should attend.
Don't pay attention to the loud mouths just as if you wouldn't if you went to any other sporting event such as football, soccer or baseball. Trust me the mouths attend those events as well!!!!

Back of the Cage