Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by The Hop
These are excellent points. As stated above here is the conundrum.
If shooting space is called and the player executes the shot then by definition it is a dangerous shot...goal or not.
The problem here is officials NEVER call that scenario a dangerous shot. They simply allow the shooter to take a free position and retake the shot (often times resulting in the same scenario happening again....crazy). In essence the wrong call each and every time.
Now here is the argument that I hear a lot. Because of the speed of the play and the timing of the officials whistle it is usually too late for the shooter to stop herself as the shot motion has already begun when the whistle blows.

That's not what the officials say , the reason they say it's not called a dangerous shot is that the defensive player was not in shooting space at the initiation of the shot and entered shooting space as the shot was being taken or already released .

My opinion is that the solution is quite simple and two fold.
1-the officials need to call shooting space/obstruction MUCH quicker and 2-the shooter needs to be held responsible for shooting during a shooting space situation.
If the shooter executes a shot AND the official calls shooting space then a yellow should be given and a change of possession should result.

I agree with calling it quicker but you are taking to whole new level