Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by Anonymous
West Babylon wins a wild one 9-8 over Rocky Point.

It was a very entertaining game. I attended the game but had "no skin" in the game so I offer my unbiased opinion and observation.

#16 and #99 had great games, as did the whole WB team.

When you have a clear advantage of talent on the field, as RP had, you have to blame the majority of the outcome on the coaching. Here is my take and I'll take my lumps in responses with an open mind.

1) RP was better offensively and should (could) have just ground out goals. Instead they try to score spectacular, "ESPN highlight" type goals. It made no sense. Just rushing the offensive sets. You don't get credit for 1.5 if it's pretty.

2) For the first 40 minutes the defense just stood around; no movement. It wasn't until the last 10 minutes (and really the last 5) that the defense applied pressure. WB was rattled by the pressure. Where was that the first 40 minutes? You have the better players, on paper at least, so use them.

3) With 9:30 left RP changes goalies for the third time, with the score 8-8. The goalie was stellar, making three point blank stops. She was clearly the better of the three goalies. Why put her in at 9:30 (to all the goalie folks out there--we all know that's a tough spot to put a goalie in)?

Finally, the stick check. The RP player's stick was obviously bad. You could see it from the stands. The ref checked, re-checked and checked again. It looked like he was trying to find the stick as bad. He was really doing the opposite. He was trying in vain to make that stick good. He had another ref look at it as well. It was a bad stick. The stick check on the WB player's winning goal was fast--because the stick was not even close to being bad.

A tip of the cap to WB. They never let the game get away and with 12 seconds left their best player had the ball and scores as time runs out.

There only player... You are correct regarding pressure, none of the wb except the star could handle the pressure, but rp coach figured it out way to late, should have been easy win for rp