"Club programs are ruining lacrosse"
I see this statement posted on this site many times without any supporting argument behind it. How is it the fastest growing sport in the country, and more exciting than ever, AND at the same time also being "ruined" by Club. Tell some kid from Oregon that absolutely loves the game that club is ruining the sport (you didn't confine your comment to LI so neither will I). Staying closer to home, look at Suffolk A this year for example. What a war all year between traditional and non-traditional powerhouses. So many schools are now competitive - very few easy outs. And this is great for the sport. Unless you can give me a better explanation, its safe to say that you can attribute this to the instruction, training and competition that the kids from towns without strong local programs are getting from their club programs. sure, the scene is way to watered down but like everything else - buyer beware. I would agree with you if you qualified your statement by saying "kids are leaving their local programs to receive poorer instruction and play at marginal club programs just to say they play club". Then you may have something (I wont name individual clubs and start a whole mess of drama). Not every district has strong feeder programs like a WI, WM, GC, SYO, Manh (no slight intended if I missed one of the other strong ones), and club programs are a viable option for kids who are serious about the sport but aren't fortunate enough to play in a district that has a strong In-House/Pal program. I know that all club programs are not created equal, but lets stop with the non-supported hyperbolic statements about what is being "ruined" by what. lacrosse is stronger than ever and you may not like the fact that kids from Texas, Michigan and California for example, are playing all over D1. But that is an indicator of the strength of the game - and attributable to club. I will put my soap box away now.
Originally Posted by Anonymous

So what? Craig wants his players to learn the right way to play the game, not ME ME ME summer club lacrosse. What's wrong with that. There's also something to be said for building team chemistry by paying together as much as possible. Craig and WI (and WM) do it the right way. Club programs are ruining lacrosse.

Freudian post of the year.....lol

Wow, does Craig profit off the summer team? I know there are coaches who run a rackets but didn't think it was happening in West Islip.