Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Put the armour on the girls and a good number on them will either stop playing, or never start. That is what my daughter believes. And she was a collegiate AA and played on USA. She is 5'6" and weighs about 125. She has no interest in hitting or being hit, and is convinced the level of contact will increase with helmets. She has also said the number of times someone's head makes contact with you when you play is fairly high, glancing you when going for ground balls or ducking a head while trying to drive past a defender. Things that aren't going to cause injury but there is contact nevertheless. She has zero interest in getting hit with a helmet every time those things occur.

so let me get this straight. getting hit in your helmet by another helmet is somehow worse than head-to-head contact??? not sure you have played contact sports before. I mean if they start enforcing the rule book none of this would be an issue. but they don't. you can crosscheck, the girls swing the lumber right next to the head, and whats the worse that happens???? go 4 yds behind? big freakin deal...

Never said helmet to helmet, she is as concerned about getting hit with a helmet on other parts of her body. She is as concerned about a player, out of control, losing her footing and slamming a helmet into her knees. She also feels that with the protection the stick swinging will get worse, not better. But hey, she's got her free ride, her degree, and her memories playing a great game. If the next generation wants to make it a contact sport with pads then just be prepared for the growth of the game to slow.
And yes I've played both football and rugby. But what I've played isn't really relevant, I think the views of someone who actually plays the game, and plays it better than most is perhaps more important to listen to.