Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Scott Craig is an excellent coach and he certainly gets a lot out of his players. He has 5 rings and numerous Suffolk County Championships to show for his legendary career. This years version of the team has been winning a lot of close games and like all the other top teams in Suffolk I think they can beat and lose to anyone on any given day. Ill say this, in a one game scenario Ill take Scott Craig over any coach in Suffolk or Nassau hands down.
I will give you my opinion on why West Islip varsity programs do well on both the boys and the girls side. Both varsity coaches live in West Islip their kids go to West Islip. They are very invested in the PAL programs within the town. I can't speak for coaches of other varsity teams, but I would imagine that they live outside the school district where they coach. Therefore are probably invested in the PAL programs within their own town. So these coaches in West Islip know these kids from the time the five years old and they build a very strong personal program

How do the coaches help build the PAL program? Betting they are NOT invested in the PAL program as they do not want to become friends with too many parents who they will then have to disappoint later on when they cut little Johnny from the Varsity. It's a mighty uncomfortable feeling to have to tell a "friend" that his son is not good enough to play for the H.S. Is the coach from W.I. telling the dads what plays to run? Is he developing drills for the third graders? Is he at the field overseeing the PAL program? PAL is run by the parents. Kudos to the W.I. moms & dads who are shuttling their kids to practice and games, coaching teams and teaching their kids the fundamentals of lacrosse. THAT is the reason W.I. has a good program, the kids are coached by dads who work on with them, kids go to camps, lacrosse is a big deal there. The coach is not getting "more" out of the kids, they are good athletes and talented lacrosse players from years of playing and practice. Enough said!! (not a W.I. parent)