Originally Posted by Anonymous
The idea that HS coaches are going to pitch in with the PAL and town programs is just not going to happen. For one the actual seasons overlap so they have their own team to worry about. Secondly, during the summer many of them, usually the better ones, are working for clubs, where they get paid. And thirdly, and most importantly, they are probably so fed up with parental meddling that the last thing they need is a fresh batch of parents telling them what they are doing wrong!

That said, it isn't a great mystery why certain HS programs are consistently strong, and it is because they have sound development at the youth level. I can't speak for other towns but in Manhasset I used to laugh at the lacrosse talent teaching the 4-5-6 graders. More than a few of the dads had played in college, and then we would throw in roving visits for practices from the likes of John Gagliardi, the Petracca boys, the Molinari boys, there were always Millers available to help out. They were usually groggy from the night before but they were adored by the kids, and they knew more about lax than the dads who hadn't played.

I said get involved, which means get your HS stars out there helping the youth teams. Meet with coaches on what your ideas are and share your drills. Be visible but not necessarily coach. Keep all Youth league Directors / parents / and coaches on their toes.

Set the stage of what you expect coming up through your program. any young coach should want to do this in conjunction with any valuable travel program