Originally Posted by Anonymous
We need a NU thread

Probably smile But the topic has sparked some interesting side discussions about the broader sport. I think SOS matters. I think the rule that you must have at least a .500 record to get in prevents the truly mediocre from getting in when the reality is, the ONLY way a 9-7, 8-8 type team will get in is if they have an overwhelmingly tough schedule, have won some of those games (NU has beaten #6, #7, #13 and lost to #3 in OT). I think Laxpower rankings are a pretty source for a computer model that takes all of this into consideration. Those rankings have NU ranked 10th in the nation. While not perfect, that's a pretty good indication of why they should be considered for the tournament, if they finish .500 or better.

As to the 'weaker' schools ... the equivalent of mid-majors in basketball, that's why the conference winners get in. They have their chance as well. I really don't think lax is all that much different than any other NCAA sport in regards to dominant teams/conferences. It is just earlier in its growth curve. NU themselves were an unbelievable underdog once upon a time. USC looks to be one that might push the "establishment" next. The game is growing and I think we might all be surprised 10 years from now with the geographical diversity of strong programs and how that will continue to loosen the stranglehold on the top by a few programs.