Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm not a Crabs parent and have a 2020 boy who is playing on age, but this is getting tiresome. This will be a non-issue for these boys next year. Each 2020 team (elite and "non" elite) has some boys who could be in 9th grade based on their birthdate. I know some parents feel very passionately about this, but I really think that the majority of the 2020 boys just want to play lacrosse and do not care if they are playing against "holdbacks". I think most of these boys hope to play varsity next year and will be on the field with boys 3-4 years older.

True statement about some 2020's, if they make varsity as freshman, will be playing against players 2-4 years older and that is accepted, as it covers grades 9 thru 12.
That is much different than playing youth grade base lacrosse with players in the 8th grade who should be in the 9th and quite a few in the 10th grade. At the youth level, it is well known which teams game the system to gain an advantage and make it part of their operating program while other teams have a few holdbacks, mostly due to academic reasons.
This isn't really a non issue, it is some clubs taking advantage and violating the spirit of grade base lacrosse. Many of these holdbakcs are not because of their birthdate but because their parents had them repeat either the 7th or 8th grade.
I, like you, am also tired of seeing this but like you said there are some who are very passionate about this. And, the players know who the holdbacks are and on certain clubs do not respect them, due to why they are holdbacks.
I would like to see age based youth lacrosse and put an end to this process and regardless of what grade a kid is in, he plays where his age dictates.

Well it's obvious from some of the words you used that you are one of the "passionate" parents. If it's the reason for the holdback that bothers you, why does everyone flip out about the middie for Crabs. He went to prefirst and repeated a grade in elementary school for purely academic reason. But according to you all he is "gaming the system". He played on on 2019 the last couple years, but can not do so this year because they are in high school. So you would prefer he not play lacrosse this spring? There are different reasons for everything and people speak about things they don't know. You all should worry about your own sons and not who wins and 8th grade lacrosse game.

You are a Crab apologist. Why does this child get an advantage over other children?? If he can play down..others should be allowed. The lacrosse world doesnt just rotate around the world of holdbacks..Anyone with common sense knows it is wrong at the YOUTH level..well except for people like you.

He's in 8th grade. He played with Crabs 2019 for the last two years while he was in 6th and 7th grade. He is not repeating a grade this year. I ask again, should he not be allowed to play lacrosse because he repeated a grade in lower school for academic reasons? It's a grade based league. I'm sure he thought about gaming the system when he was in 3rd grade and having issues in school. Get a grip.

Maybe he was in 6th and 7th grade when he played on Crabs 2019 but how old was he? He is now either 16 or close to 16 and playing on a 2020 team with most kids 13 or 14 years old. Plus he would not have missed a year playing with Crabs 2019 this summer because he presently also plays for Boys Latin's 8th grade team. Isn't that enough lacrosse for him this spring or was it that R.McClernan saw an opportunity to get another older/bigger player on his 2020 team. I truly think you need to get a grip. You are clearly a Crab parent/fan.