Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a Canadian who has played in us tournaments for 5 years. The age situation in the us has been to say the least unclear. Grade based tournaments only lead to cheating. Age based makes it simple either you are an 03 or an 02. If its an 03 tourney then you play that. If you don't start school on time you surely don't get the advantage of playing in the same age class. that seems totally screwed up. As for the WSYL our team has played igloo for two years now and have been killed each time and they are a very good team but here is a little secret. 13 of our kids are going to play in the wsyl next year because that is the age requirement so look out igloo 2022 because I guess we should have been playing you instead.

That's funny because Canadians are the biggest abusers of the grade based system out there. Edge makes no attempt to hide the fact that their kids are all a year older due to their PG year.

This would be another great example of why recruiting may be best classified as AGE based and not GRADE year.

In Canada, there are no hold backs, or kids repeating a grade, or starting school late because they were born after a specific date. Doesn't matter if you are born Jan 1st or Dec 30th of 'X' year, you all start school the same year.

Age based recruiting seems to be the easiest, fairest and most accurate way to evaluate talent and competition. Apples to Apples.

Age based recruiting would eliminate hold backs, repeats, etc and ultimately

you were correct up to the pt where you referred to age based recruiting. ALL college coaches are looking to fill a grade so at some pt they don't care about what age you are but what grad class you are. I say age based until high school

Fair, i think once you reach HS, GRADE/CLASS matters, as ultimately that's what a coach needs to know, you are a 2017/2018, etc. And AGE based system in Middle school/youth will ensure make sure that kids are competing against similar aged kids on a more level playing field.