Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
"Chaminade does not prep kids for college better than anybody else. Do your research about what happened recently at Colgate."

Over 400 graduates per year and you base this on one kid? That makes sense. So you don't think that Chaminade preps kids for college better than ANY high school in Long Island?

A lot of homework does not equal a quality education. It just means that the kids have to learn more outside of class than inside. The parents are fooled into thinking that just because their kids have to stay up past midnight that they are getting a good education bang for the buck. Wrong. More learning at home than actually in class is not the sign of a good school.

I'm a Chaminade grad, and have been an active alum. I am often asked about the school from parents considering it for their young boys. I always tell them that they shouldn't be swayed by people who claim it is this super academic experience. If you are in a top public school (Syosett, Manhassett, GC, CSH, etc..) that you will get just as good an education.
And if your end goal is an Ivy League admission then you'll be frustrated because Chaminade doesn't see the Ivies, and their liberal footings, in the same light that you do. They want you to go to ND, Holy Cross, Georgetown, Loyola, Boston College and the other Catholic colleges. And as a result their relationships with the Ivy admissions offices is non-existent. Of course if you are a star athlete you can overcome this hurdle.
What I do tell them about Chaminade is that there is an intangible in the experience that is tough to explain. The discipline that is part of the daily regimen becomes a badge of honor amongst the boys. There is a pride that they have in being part of the Chaminade family, although most would never voice it while there.
I always laugh because the biggest complainers while there are usually the biggest proponents of the school ten years after they're out. I challenge any one to point out another school in the US who fill 5 golf courses at their golf outings? And let me ask you, is there an alumni office at your school that you can call to get a list of graduates that work in a given field to seek professional help? Does your school have alumni functions in cities across the country to cultivate and develop this network?

There are plenty of great schools, good kids come out of all of them, but I am always perplexed at the degree of disparaging commentary that is directed at Chaminade. You shouldn't trash it without really knowing it.

All that said, yeah this years lax team looks like the pre-season press may have overstated their level of talent. Need some offense.