Originally Posted by Anonymous
You miss the point completely.

Coaches running a for profit business and coercing players (parents) to pay to play for them is wrong.

I have been reading these arguments about coaches running summer programs for their town players and can see both sides of the argument.
I have a question, and please just give me your opinions because I am very conflicted.
I have an opinion on this but want to hear what others think.
Which scenario is worse in your opinion:

1) The H.S. coach runs a summer program that he gets paid to coach and charges under $1000.00/player for 5 summer tournaments. He encourages his players to stay together and play tournaments together. He tells them they can also play for clubs if they like but he wants the town team to come first if there are conflicts.

2) The H.S. coach coaches a H.S. level team for one of the big clubs. He is being paid upwards of $10,000.00 to coach this team because the club believes having hm there will attract players. He encourages his H.S. players to try out for the club telling them there is no guarantee they will make his team or the "B" team on the club. The club charges $3000.00 for 5 summer tournaments.

Is one scenario a worse conflict of interest for the coach than another? I have had both scenarios with my first 3 boys and I know whch I chose for them and how it worked out for them. My 4th boy starts HS next year and we have a similar situation again and I am curious as to what other people who post about this think.

Thank you for your opinions.