Originally Posted by Anonymous
Did not see where the poster said anything about her daughter playing top 20 D1 . Reality is there are very few girls period, being recruited to play top 20

Maybe I am a whack job, but is anyone else out there trying to talk their daughter out of playing in college???? my 2019 looks borderline D1, more likely D3. but in either case working your butt off, all the early mornings, workouts, fall tournaments.. I just don't see the value... each your there's what 3 programs (MD, UNC, SU) that have a chance to win it all?? everyone else is playing exhibition lacrosse almost right?

why not enjoy college, get some great grades, make friends beyond the 35 girls on the roster, things like that. gonna be many years of getting up early and going off to work after school, in the real world..

I guess you don't see the value in competing and working toward common goals. It isn't for everyone. I played a D3 sport and those games/practices/bus rides and teammates are some of my best memories of college. I learned great life lessons and challenged myself. There was no national championship we were chasing, we just loved to compete. It's too bad that that is lost on people. And I really enjoyed college, got some good grades, made friends beyond the 22 on my roster and things like that. I went on to graduate school, have had a fulfilling career and a great family. And I know for sure my life would be less full without the friends and experiences I had playing college sports. Is it the end all be all, probably not, but it is a very great thing for very many and emphatically disagree with your construct that there is no value in it.

I think you both have some very valid points. And when I do mention considering D3 for my daughter - I am treated almost like a pariah by a bunch of parents from her club team. Also coming from a D3 school and then onto grad school - I still have not lost sight of nor forgotten about why I went to college. Well, after the parties and all that - there was the education. Putting the education below lacrosse on the schools' criteria list totally baffles me.

oh so you ending up actually talking to some of the psycho lax parents?? sounds rough yeah. I bring my son and a football and steer clear of the cat fights..

It's mostly YJ parents that look down on anyone who wants to play D3, did play D3 or just wants to play for fun. They are very shallow and can only have a meaningful life if Little YJ'er plays D1 for a top 1 team. To them, anything else is total failure and they are banished from the YJ community by CR herself.