Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why not Jan 1st to Dec 31st? Why split up friends that play the sport together? So if a kid is born Aug 31st and his friend is born on Sept 2nd that is going to make a difference in size and weight for safety? Who comes up with this stuff?

What about the friends who are born Dec 31 and January 2? The line has to be drawn somewhere, and you can't avoid friends being on opposite sides of the line. As a hockey dad and lacrosse dad, I can say that hockey does this MUCH better. It is strictly age based using a Jan 1 - Dec 31 calendar. All players are registered through their clubs with USA hockey and a standard, uniform game sheet is used for every game. The sheet contains the full roster (name and uniform number) of every kid, and the form is in triplicate. A copy for every game goes to the league and/or USA hockey with each team getting a copy. Every HC signs off on every sheet. There is absolutely no shenanigans and I have never suspected my kids were playing against older kids. At the highest level (AAA), at which only the best of the best can play, its only single year vs single year (2005 vs 2005, etc). At all other levels, they combine two years (Squirt for this year was 2005 and 2006; PeeWee was 2003 and 2004), but teams often have one year or the other and position themselves in leagues and tournaments accordingly.

Completely agree. Someone will always miss the cut off. Kids make friends with other kids and do not have to play on the same team as their classmates. My son plays club with kids from all over the place- not his hometown friends. Same for hockey- they make new friends and teams change a bit each year due to cuts. It should be cut and dry and while Sept 1st is a start- the birth year makes more sense.