Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game
[quote=Anonymous]Coaches know already...are you serious???

Ok seems like this is a response to the question about tryouts. So your saying coaches dont put much into tryouts and their decisions are already made?

I would think this is the case. You don't.

Assuming this comment was centered around Fresh & Soph you would think a new coach would have to see those Freshman vs those Sophomores against the Sr's and Jr's. Most notably in skill specific positions (F/O Goalie LSM Lefty Attack) but I think preseason takes care of that.

I also think it depends on a school, the top 5 or so schools per division east or West of 110 know who they have and who is coming in.

That said, any surprises of Freshman making Varsity over Soph (who will remain on JV) or any Fresh Sophs jumping the pecking order on the depth charts so far

ok so a coach has seen players during preseason play and has some knowledge of who is coming in. What about the evaluation of skill specific players. Does this take more time and drills that are done to put those players head to head in similar situations. Faceoff guys I think are easy. Head to head see who wins then game play. I think lefty attack and goalie are a bit more difficult. Unless there are specific drills set up and coaches watching just those players how would they be able to asses a goalie or a lefty attackman. If they played full field live games and put the players in to face same teams that would make more sense. [/quote

The top teams have coaches who are well aware of which rising players are coming their way. These guys have the players on their radar months even a season before tryouts. Come on let's be real. Pre season, winter practicing, the players on the bubble whether they are freshman or sophs- coaches have a very good idea who they are looking for and if a player is ready- waaaayyyy before tryouts begin.