Originally Posted by Anonymous
One would expect Ward Melville to do well in competitions such as this.

1) Ward Melville has a huge number of students (way more than Chaminade per grade)

2) Many of said students are children of Stony Brook faculty and workers (and some of Ren Tech employees). They are obviously going to be very smart due to genetics alone. Public high schools in college towns are always great at showing just how powerful assortative mating can be. Because of this "college town effect," Ward Melville probably has more kids at the top end (~98+ percentile in terms of IQ), yet Chaminade's mean IQ is likely significantly higher than Ward Melville's.

3) Combine this with Ward Melville's ability to leverage certain SBU resources, and WM really should be towards the top of all metrics like this (science olympiad, Intel, math competitions, etc.). Many Long Island publics, WM included, do a very good job supporting students interested in these activities (better than Chaminade I imagine -- Intel/Westinghouse was never even discussed back in my day). Each school stresses different activities, and that's fine. Maybe Chaminade has decided to reprioritize a bit with the new science center, but we'll have to see how that plays out over the next few years.

I say all of this as a very proud C alum who is married to a former Ward Melville salutatorian. We're both agreed that our sons will attend Chaminade when we eventually move back to the Island (the nerdy non-athletes can go to Regis). God help me if I have any daughters.

Now, can we get the topic of discussion back to lacrosse?

Sounds like excuses to me....hope you're not full of them during lax season as well! Typical chaminade parent. If your not the best, there is an excuse. Face it you're paying big bucks but still can't measure up to publics!