Originally Posted by Anonymous
I cant wait to hear the bitching in another few years when your now freshman Varsity playing son gets cut to make room for a younger kid. You may say "best kids should play" now, but this will be the reality for some of you down the line. Do you really think you will be alright with that? It is embarrassing and sad to do to a kid who has been a hardworking teammate for 2-3 years.

Someone is sour....most likely any freshMan strong enough to make varsity will not be getting cut as a junior or senior. More likely that kid or kids will be the team leaders by that time. That's the whole point isn't it? Developing a core group for the future of the program. No coach will cut the hardworking players you mention as long as they are strong enough to contribute the team. Wins- that's what it's all about. This is HS not PAL

Actually my son has been on varsity for 4 years at a top program, started for last 3. He's a senior. Some of his friends have lost their starting positions to younger kids that may or may not be better. Last year Jr.s We're cut down to JV to make way for sophomores some who contriuted, others did nothing. It's gamble, but these kids are deeply hurt by some of the decisions made where a young kid may be good, but unproven in his ability to compete against top competition. I say let them wait! Another thing is that it's not special anymore when you have already been playing varsity for 4 years, just another day at the office!

For the most part, any freshman good enough to be brought up to Varsity on a competitive team is probably a D1 commit, soon to be a D1 commit or has the talent to be a very High D3 player. Without question, those kids are never getting cut and will be major contributors to their programs moving forward. These kids are usually big strong kids with equal talent, or very fast athletic kids. In almost all the cases they can compete. Will they take time away from D1 committed Seniors? Doubtful. Will they lead the team in the future? Most likely.