Originally Posted by Anonymous
The one change that I think is a shame is being able to take a tournament team and not have to bring your team that is on the roster from try outs. The beauty of it last year was that for most of the teams that went, these were the kids that had been playing and practicing together all year, possibly more. The team was united and each win or loss was handled well as these kids were true teammates, not just a tournament team required to play two tournaments together. I personally think the age cut off is a bit too wide and a 7/1 is better. There were kids turning 14 during the tourney while some were just turning 13 or not going to turn 13 for another month or two. That said- it was an incredible experience and worth the trip. I hope it is just as exciting for this year's teams.

but if it was 7/1 then someones son would be ineligible and miss a second trip to Denver. Not an option! That date was not arbitrary by any means, it was to accommodate certain individuals.

Kids that play up do not need this extended cut off, they would make the cut off without an extension- certain individuals would still make the tournament guidelines without any extensions at all. This was to accommodate all the late starters in MD and other states that follow the trend of pre first. This change was not made to accommodate any one kid and the conspiracy theories are really a bit over the top.

In theory you may have a point, unless of course a kid is a holdback and will be turning 13 right after the cutoff date, hmmm?

Yeah and.......some kids who will play in this tournament will be turning 14 right after the cutoff date. Not sure you still have a point.