Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
You people with your make believe polls that bolster your daughters team is real sad state of affairs. Leave the polls alone there are three different ones that matter Louisville at 7 UVA at 6 Princeton all the way up to 5 after the really impressive one goal win over a poor unranked Georgetown team. Lololo
Agenda driven Stick to these
Iwlca coaches poll
Media poll
Nike lax mag

IWLCA is a joke. Early in the season polls should be based on actual performance not the previous season. As the year progresses the teams body of work is what should be considered. Duke lost to Elon and is 3 - 3. Sorry but based on YTD performance they should not be in the top 20. Tell me, if Rutgers, Umass, Villanova or Harvard had the exact same results as Duke would they be ranked? Virginia is 3-1 and beat a 1-2 Northwestern team yet somehow NU is ranked ahead of UVA. Princeton is 3-0 and beat Virginia by 7 goals yet Cav's are ranked 2 slots higher than the Tigers. Not sure Ohio State should be in there either based on there YTD SOS and performance. Questioning Stony Brook as well. Although I think they are a Top 10 team they have not done anything yet. Most teams have played between 3 and 5 games so far. I have a hard time giving credit to a team who has only played one game against a less competitive opponent.

You contradict yourself. How can early season polls be based on actual performance and then as the season progresses you base it on the body of work? There is no body of work early in the season so prior year (which includes returning players, recruiting an impact player as well) has to be the gauge to rank. As the teams play then the poll sorts itself out.

All polls, for any sport, start with the expectation of how a team will play. In D1 basketball Kentucky was ranked #1 early in the season but is now #22. Villanova was ranked #11 at the beginning of the season and was ranked #1.

So you are half right--as the teams play their games the polls will correct themselves. You have to also know polls were created for the sake of folks debating (arguing?). It's all good fun.

No contradiction at all. I said early in the season not "pre-season".

At what point is "early in the season" over? After how many games is it no longer early in the season? Duke played a lot of games early and has fallen in the polls. Stony Brook played their first game on 2/28. The first couple of polls will be based on last year unless a team had a tremendous roster turnover.