Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Seems like every game I watch now the collegiate teams are wearing something other than a Cascade helmet. With all the controversy last year I guess they decided that the refurbishing is not enough. The Schutt helmet has been described as the safest but was criticized as too heavy. This weekend I saw Hopkins, Cornell and UNC all wearing it.

Call me a skeptic, but I would bet a lot of $$$$ that the decisions made to change gear were helped along by a sponsorship and marketing deal. More $ involved for the coach and the program. Safety would be fairly down on the list of factors if you ask me.

I don't note this to disparage any brand, but to the colleges that NOCSAE sticker is enough. Even if Cascade has the best helmet in the market, the Nike sponsored schools are going to wear the Stallion and the other SXT garb where Nike does not make an item. Warrior schools will wear the Warrior helmet. UA schools will wear a UA white label helmet. Apparel company money is much greater than university salaries in some instances. Recruiting wise the 14 year olds's motherboards light up for all the swag too, often over the academics a college offers. Are there really parents out there who think it is awesome a kid will get 45 Champion t-shirts from High Point or 23 versions UA China made t-shirts with the swinging cat throwing up logo...err, I mean the Maryland state flag...on it?