Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
D3 is the place to be....you still have a social life, a true study abroad opportunity, likely will play all 4 years in college instead of quitting like in D1&2, work very hard at both practice and academically (just not 6 hrs a day).

So much crap spewed by HS and club coaches. Daughter in her third year at D3 school. Started in 1/2 of games as a freshman, will now playing all the time as a jr.

HaHa to all the suckers.
Obviously you have a chip on your shoulder about her not playing D1. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to post this on this site which is pathetic with the tone. Let each family decide what is best for their daughter, not black and white that D3 is better than D3, or vice versa. Also, you are just talking about the lacrosse and mention nothing about the quality of the academics. Makes you look bitter and small.

Both posts make valid points. It really does come down to a family decision and the student's decision. I have seen so many mismatched students because a school offers some money but the school is all wrong for the student.

There is almost a 50% burnout rate for D1/D2 students. It is a huge commitment.

D3 may be a fit for many students. No athletic money at all but the schools will help with financial packages based on need. Schools that are competitive in lacrosse at the D3 level (NESCAC schools such as Amherst, Williams, Tufts, Middlebury, Hamilton and non-NESCAC schools such as Washington & Lee, Franklin & Marshall, Gettysburg) are very difficult to get admitted. You are looking at Ivy type requirements (some of the schools I mentioned are 'Little Ivies") so your child needs to have high academics. They are also very expensive.

I don't think the reply poster has a chip on his shoulder but surely D1/D2 students are not suckers. Sit down wth your child sooner than later and talk about what they want from college overall. If they want to do a true semester abroad or are trying for a difficult degree (Yes, I know there are some who are pre-med and D1. Rare) and want to play lacrosse (or any sport) maybe D3 is the way. Some students don't want to live a way from home so a local school may be an option.

There is no right or wrong, outside of giving the student the best chance of succeeding now and into the future.