Originally Posted by Anonymous
You'll get, mostly the mom's upset about their son being labeled anything but an A player. So politically correct organizations have gone to colors. Know what happens when that lesser player plays with the better players? They won't pass them the ball. Kids figure out quickly who can/can't catch. Ive been coaching a long time (on all levels)and no matter how much you implore the kid to make the right play, in crunch time, they will throw it somewhere else. And you know what happens when that B/C player goes to middle school? They get cut. And you know what the parent says/does? Nothing. You know why? Because parents feel that a paid (most times a teacher) can cut their kid, but a volunteer (no matter their experience) must catch [lacrosse] if their son is labeled anything but the best.

So true!

Yes my town is one of those P/C towns that went to colors...still many parents were pissed that their little Johnny wasn't on the Red team. They all felt the white wasn't good enough for their kid. Doesn't matter though, the coaches kids and his friends are not the best players but they play where they want. My kid plays attack and plays on one of the better club teams and is on the first line but I was told to go buy a long pole for him because he is playing defense this year. I asked why and was told that they needed him there. Doesn't matter that the kids playing attack cant catch or shoot straight. It's crazy but my son wants to play with his friends so I guess I'm spending some more money. in the long run it cant hurt that learns another position. I at least hope they have fun, isn't that what its all about.

Most youth PAL clubs don't value the attack position and hide kids there. They let the middies go coast to coast. So ridiculous. Your son's coach probably needs an athlete on defense but will probably move him to attack when they need a few goals. Many of these coaches don't know what they're doing.