I'm not connected to LI, but I am the HC of a 9/1 compliant 2021 team not considering WSYL. My observations.

(1) Lacrosse competition should be about skill, not age. When you have 5/1 or 6/1 cutoffs or have 2021 teams loaded with older kids, it becomes in large part about age and how many older kids you have. This is never as prominent as when they are 13 and some players are pre-puberty kids and some look like grown men. Many top 2021 teams from metro areas have 5-8 pre 9/1 kids.

(2) I disagree with the 5/1 cutoff . I disagree with [lacrosse]'s moving from 8/1 to 6/1. But I get it, given how many people "hold back" boys with Summer birthdays, at least in the private school world. Still, I believe an 8/1 cutoff is the right one.

(3) The fact WSYL moving away from requiring kids to be 7th graders in the prior school year and a true part of a team to current standards looks nakedly political. Kudos to Igloo if they call BS and stay away. It's a TV event. Why should they fly all the way to Denver to attend a tournament that changes the rules to suit their competition? Kudos if they decide to go too, but what WSYL did is BS.