Originally Posted by Anonymous
That was harder than I thought

1. Syracuse
2. Cornell (although if we are talking this year I would move Cornell to 4th)
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

Biggest surprises. How are Hofstra and Binghamton not consistently better?

I agree, why is.it? I would think with all the local talent they would be able to keep kids home.

Very strange that Hofstra isnt able to recruit better and be consistently in the Top 20, I think when it comes down to it, they just dont do a good job of recruiting, plain and simple. Couple that with the fact that many Long Island kids just dont want to stay home. I think you could say the same for Rutgers. Rutgers is a great school that plays in the Big 10 and is located in striking distance of NY, PA, CT, MA and obviously NJ. I can tell you that from my own experience with their coaching staff (they were looking at my son), that I really dont understand their recruiting philosophy at all. You would think they would be able to draw top recruits from all the states mentioned as well as athletes from non traditional areas. Addtionally with them being in the Big10 with Hopkins, Maryland, Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State, they better start doing a better job recruiting or they will be in the bottom of that conference every year.

As for Binghampton, I can only speculate that the reason they have trouble recruiting is the lcoation of the school. It truly is in the middle of nowhere and pretty cold with lots of snow. Great school and inexpensive for NY State residents, so Im not really sure why they cant attract kids from all over NYS.

haven't heard great things about their coach. Now his freshmen son is also there and heard he's not ready for prime time.

Many good points posted above as to why players leave L.I. to play. I would agree that the list of schools the top 50 kids could mostly likely play at is impressive. However I would think that the coach has something to do with it. I understand the local coaches have to work extra hard to keep local talent. Hofstra is not an elite academic school but it's not a terrible school. Not all the top players can qualify to attend some of the schools listed above. This is where the coach comes in. Players have to want to play for them. I don't think that is the case at Hofstra.
As for the post regarding his son playing for him, leave the kid out of it. I have seen him play. He will not be the worst on the roster if that is what you were implying by saying he is not yet ready for prime time. He has talent.