Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game
If he is doing a post grad year, he is moving on just like kids he graduated from HS that opted to go to college. Northeast boarding schools are full of post grad kids, in all sports, football basketball, lacrosse, etc.
I know quite a few Nassau HS boys who went the post grad prep route.

Myles Jones
Justin Guterding
Rob Pannell
Brian Willets

Just to name a few that went the PG route at New England Prep schools. So call it what you want, holdback, reclassed, PG, but it all ends up the same, kids end up 19-20 year old freshmen.

I think the point being missed is these players PG'd yes but they played age appropriate youth ball. The trend is now to hold back and repeat so young men are playing children on the travel circuit which in turn has created such disdain for the PG players. If its about getting into a better school I would PG my own son only after he has completed his youth ball and was done with high school. I just wouldnt have him play down in youth travel.In college soccer American players are in competition with many foreign players who are sometimes 3 to 4 years older as freshmen.

The original discussion was because someone was crying about how Cuse didnt have any 18 year old freshman on their roster. So to me, it doesnt matter if a kid did a PG, reclassed or was a kindegarten holdback, the end result is the same, a large majority of lacrosse players will be 19-20 years old when they start school. (oh and not to mention that unless you were born in the 2nd half of the year, youre going to turn 19 in your freshman year anyway) This is a completely separate argument from the reclassing situation. If someone is reclassing their kid for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage for athletic reasons, obviously this is an issue and I believe there are ways to take that out of the sport if US Lacrosse, the clubs, and the tournament organizers take the steps necessary, which likely will never happen. Kids being 6 months to 1 year older when they start college is not a big deal, being 1 year older when your 13-14 is a big deal and it does create an advantage, people need to make that distinction.
I mostly agree, a kid doing a P.G. year is no harm. My problem is when you guys do pre first (1 year older) reclass in 8th grade (2 years older), and then do a P.G. (3 years older) putting a man of 21 turning 22 as a freshman, at that age they should be graduating, and is cheating no matter how you look at it at any level. With my theory that 21 year old frosh could only have 1 year eligibility