Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
And unfortunately it will probably take something tragic to happen by a kid big for his age and 2 years older to a kid small for age and 2 years younger before people would really do something about changing the age from graduation year to birth year and to require stricter player identification measures.

I'm new to this forum and I just don't understand USLacrosse not going to an age based system. I've seen soccer mentioned but even in baseball , where it is age based, talented kids are expected to play up. My son is an undersized 2020 Attack whose westchester club team added 5 reclassifieds this year. (3 of which are a foot taller and 60-70 pounds heavier and TWO years older).
Despite his passion for the game, he used to pride himself on the hits he'd take in front of the crease while creating a goal, but now quite frankly, he sheepishly admits he's not sure how much more he can take.( There are only so many Jordan Wolf motivational videos a father can show)
And I'm sorry, but where is the 'talent' of a 2 year older, 6ft 165 pound Middie taking the ball from one end to the other? And until US Lacrosse re-thinks it's grade based system, and parents are under the impression college coaches are recruiting at the 8th/9th grade then it will only get worse, until like you say something tragic happens at this 8th grade level.

US Lacrosse sets guidelines but does not have control over whether clubs, league & tournaments organize by grade or age. The do have a set of "best practices" that recommend age based guidelines with preference for single year (u11,u12,u13) if there's enough. You can criticize them for not have the strength or leadership to mandate age guidelines but they are on record as supporting age rather than grade for youth lacrosse. It's club operators that decided to change to grade and the tournaments adjusted. Tournaments make money if they attract a full field of teams. When there is demand for age based teams tournaments will adjust accordingly.