Originally Posted by Anonymous
By holding a child back you allow them to mature, both mentally and physically. Does this give them an advantage? Yes it probably does, but that is my duty as a parent, to ensure the success of my child. I would do whatever it takes to help my child succeed. I don't make a spectacular living. Both my wife and I work to pay for our children to attend private school. We don't go on vacation. My children have benefited from staying back. They are doing better in school. Neither child is big, but they are athletic. Tell me what I did wrong?

Once again you miss the point . Why you held you child back is irrelevant to most people. Good for you that it has helped him with his education. I cant imagine anyone not wishing him well with his studies.
Youth athletics is a different subject, You want your son to have an advantage in youth sports that others do not get?? There is a fairness to youth athletics that is constantly put out by all organizations. Private schools constantly preach values and character education to their students. Do you think it is good character to allow a select few to enjoy an advantage others dont?? Is all your decisions, that whatever is in the interest of helping my son out..I will do it without any moral value associated with it???

How is what this guy did cheating or morally wrong? People on here call the parent of a holdback a cheater, but he is actually just following the rules of the club and the league. What you are really unhappy with are the rules of the league, which is grade based? Are you suggesting that while the rules state if a kid has a graduation year of 2020, the holdback should be on the 2019 team? That doesn't make sense. If the league were aged based, the kid would be on the proper age team. But it is grade based and he is still on the proper team. I get you are unhappy with the rules but don't call people cheaters or morally wrong who are just following the rules. Attack the league or have your kid play in an aged based league. Don't attack people.

You need to read the entire thing..He said he would do whatever it takes to help his son..I responded with my statement about how that is morally wrong to think that way about everything.
I am tired of these parents justifying the rules and their children are only going by them. If I heard that " I get an advantage and that is that" I wouldnt be happy..But at least the parent would be telling the truth and except it.... Not like most of the BS excuses about why it is ok to have selected kids get an advantage. That BS deserves to be called out.