A parent of our club team clued me into this forum. It's like a reality TV show or a car crash. I can't take my eyes off of it. My own son is late August 2001 birthday. In kindergarten, our parish educators recommended he take a pre-first year, before first grade. I was almost insulted by the insinuation that he wasn't ready. I took a breathe and asked other parents who had pre-firsters. They were all happy that they made the decision. I had given no thought to an athletic advantage this might give. Trust me, I don't plan that far ahead. Then we entered the club lacrosse world in 7th grade, just as the grade based environment was becoming widespread. With no more thought than having him play with his friends, we went with the 2020 team. No malice, no forethought. If he was a huge kid that already hit puberty, maybe we would have thought differently. As it is, he's average height (5'6") and probably underweight (123lbs). I don't believe he is at any advantage, but I'm sure some posters will disagree. I'll continue to view the forums for thoughts and advice. There are a few nuggets, the best of which come down to don't live your life through your kid's sports and just let them have fun. Stay frosty.