Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Are there any magnet programs in private schools? My son is going into high school already completing algebra 1 and geometry. Speaking with a few of the private schools mentioned earlier they won't have a math class for him in a couple years and he will have to go to a community college for math classes his senior year. Public schools meet that need without having to send the kids elsewhere.

Based strictly on academics public schools are better and have more to offer the AP student than any of the private schools.

You have been talking to the wrong people. The schools my son and daughter attend offer up to Calculus II, and both of them finished Middle school having completed Algebra I and Geometry.

That math progression is very much the norm for both public and private school students and it is great that you go up to Calculus II which would be considered a standard high school offering for advanced students. But the majority of private high schools do not offer anything outside of the standard Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre Calculus, Stats, Calculus. That is not a bad thing but the point was that curricula offerings were broader and more in depth in public - looking at BL's math offerings, it is similar to the above as are the other privates. Howard or Harford would have the above plus go further with all including calculus to include Multivariate Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Math Design, Differential Equations, Trig, Math Analysis, Financial Literacy, Advanced Algebra and Functions and others- most for 11th and 12th graders who already completed their high school requirements and want to take more at GT or AP levels. Private schools are great in many ways but can not and do not offer what a public can in terms of more classes and more advanced classes. This is not just for math - it holds true for the sciences, languages, english and the number of "interest" type courses can be overwhelming but allows for a different experience for the kids who want it.