Originally Posted by Anonymous
US Lacrosse has nothing to do with this. Individual leagues must create and enforce their own policies.

bologna! US LAX is the governing body for lacrosse in the U.S.! If they truly cared they would figure out a way to enforce the issue.

Correct!! USL is a wimp of an organization. They should have come out hard on these youth grade based teams a few years ago. They still can but it will be harder. No leadership there..Just fluff and give me your money

US Soccer just changed their eligibility rules to match those of the international rules.
It is recommended that calendar years be used this season (2016) and required in 2017. (Previously, US Soceer used Aug1-July31 birthdates.) Since soccer is bigger at the college level than lacrosse, how will the coaches ever adapt for recruiting (sarcasm intended).

US Lacrosse cannot force leagues or tournaments to go under their sanction. If a league wants to make their own rules, then that's exactly what they do. US Lacrosse is great for Rec leagues as there is plenty of insurance benefit and the age based divisions apply. If you're US Lacrosse how would you try to apply the policies to non-governed entities?

US Lacrosse can make the age-requirement rules. Certify the tournaments that follow the age-rule ( and thus provide the insurance ). If the tourney is not sanctioned by US Lacrosse, than the tourney will have to provide their own insurance for the tourney for injury (by jacking up the price a little bit per team). Tourneys can decide what they want to do.

As for rec (MYLA), my younger (2025) son does not belong to US Lacrosse, so is not covered by their insurance.

AAU Basketball also changed their rules in 2014 (I think) to take out the grade based and make it age based for the younger ages, although they do have a grade and September birthday exemption for upper ages over 14).

US Lacrosse just has to take a leadership role and make the rule (versus guidelines). We can all complain after they do so but with each area having their own guidelines is not good for the sport. Playing 2020 in the spring and then saying I am reclassifying and playing 2021 is not good for the game.