Originally Posted by Anonymous
Jealous parents is the reason this is an issue.

the reason it's an issue is because this girl's parents publicized it. Get it?

Why do you care?

Because it feeds into the mania which is making youth sports a business, which is sad.

OK, fair point. But, we do not know (at least I) do not know that the parents were actively making this "public".

I think the driving force behind the madness known as youth sports (especially lacrosse on Long Island) are the parents of "average" athletes. Many times their first dose of reality comes when the recruiting starts. Not all of the players on the best Club or HS team are "Top Players / Recruits". When parents see the top players being recruited by the top academic and lacrosse schools in the country and their child is not being recruited they don't understand. Over the years I have witnessed jealousy and bitterness rear its ugly many times. Altering the rules regarding recruiting will not end the animosity directed toward the top players and their parents.

The Top Programs in the country are the ones doing most of the early recruiting. They Identify and go after (recruit) the best players. It will not change, the players who are recognized by college coaches to have the most potential will be offered spots and scholarships before all the others. To carry on about one 8th grade girl is insane. Even 9th grade, how many will be offered spots? I would bet less than 50. Yet this has caused such a stir. Really, sad for the girl because she has committed to Syracuse. Get a grip and give it a rest, it's a good school. Most parents have a pretty good Idea what type of student their child is. Most can help guide them during the process.

Here are the Top 8 Teams from 2015:

Maryland
North Carolina
Syracuse
Duke
Northwestern
Penn State
Princeton
Loyola

Do you think that most parents can not counsel their child during the recruiting process.

Here are the remaining top 20:

Boston College
Virginia
Stony Brook
Florida
Penn
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Albany
JMU

The top 20 - 30 players will be recruited early by just about all of the top programs. They will be offered spots and they will be offered the most athletic money from those programs.

If a player is recruited early by the majority of the best programs in the country I am pretty sure that most parents will help their child find the right fit.

Worry about your own kid.