Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hawks 2020 does not have any reclassified kids.

True statement!

A lot of the teams do not have reclassified kids. Reclassified means that you repeated a grade, likely 8th, for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage in athletics. I get where that rubs people the wrong way. What I don't understand is the issue with pre-first kids. A ton of my son's friends did pre-first so they would not be young for their grade. I have never understood the issue there.

In youth sports, kids should play with their age. If they went to pre-first, they would need to play with kids their own age not necessarily their grade- pre first and hold backs have the same result that the kids are a year older-it does not matter when or why they do it but they are physically more advanced and at the youth level, it makes a huge difference. There is one cut off date that everyone should be held to. Unfortunately lacrosse used to have this and left the model at the wish of a select few. Every other sport has an age requirement and sometimes it means you do not play with kids in your grade.

That's so stupid on so many levels. So you are saying that a pre-first kid with a spring birthday shouldn't be allowed to play youth lacrosse with his friends that he goes to school with??? Seriously that is your stance? When did this sport get to be so jaded? You'd rather them have to play with kids they don't know? That would be fun for them.

I get the issue with kids repeating 8th grade. I do. But bitching and whining about pre-firsts is taking it to a whole new level. Is it really too much to ask a 6th grader or 7th grader to play against someone 4-8 months older? How did these kids ever play rec in U-11 or U-13?

all things being equal height/weight/athletic ability, what is the difference between the kid born June/2001 who did pre-first and the kid born June/2001 who repeated 8th grade?