Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hawks 2020 does not have any reclassified kids.

True statement!

A lot of the teams do not have reclassified kids. Reclassified means that you repeated a grade, likely 8th, for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage in athletics. I get where that rubs people the wrong way. What I don't understand is the issue with pre-first kids. A ton of my son's friends did pre-first so they would not be young for their grade. I have never understood the issue there.

In youth sports, kids should play with their age. If they went to pre-first, they would need to play with kids their own age not necessarily their grade- pre first and hold backs have the same result that the kids are a year older-it does not matter when or why they do it but they are physically more advanced and at the youth level, it makes a huge difference. There is one cut off date that everyone should be held to. Unfortunately lacrosse used to have this and left the model at the wish of a select few. Every other sport has an age requirement and sometimes it means you do not play with kids in your grade.