Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
From my experience, most parents are delusional and drive kids towards something they know nothing about. Who's committed, who isn't....who cares. Why? So a Dad can say my son is committed to XYZ? People, I've been through the mill, as a player and as a Father. Find a great school where your son can succeed, a coach that you trust and will make the game fun for your son and don't worry about the rest.

I made the mistake of focusing on the school name, not the education, the coach , etc. I didn't repeat the same mistake with my oldest son. He's attending a top rate school with a D2 program, he received some academic financial assistance and is part of a program that is very successful and loves the coach and teammates.

People, get some perspective ASAP. A kid in our town committed to a big time program, everyone was really happy for him and he is now miserable. I coached the kid and we still speak frequently. He feels like a piece of meat, an anonymous cog in the wheel. They care that he is eligible to play--period. He wants to transfer. Its a sad story. The kid's dream came true but has turned out to be a nightmare for him.

I cannot agree more. I was an "All-American" on a NCAA Championship team. I was lucky enough to play for an awesome coach and we had a great balanced college experience. I don't see that happening too much any more. IF, my son decides he wants to play a sport in college, I really hope that he can have the amazing experience that I did. I can tell you something else, he won't be "committing" anywhere until he is at least a Junior. I really feel like he is WAY to young right now to make that decision. PLUS, he truly doesn't know if he wants to play a sport in college (he is pretty sure he does), but he also not sure what sport that will be. I really hope that all of these kids end up having a great collegiate experience, it really is a GREAT time in your life. I hate to hear about kids not enjoying it because it has become a job...

And with all this crazy early recruiting, it gets way too real and becomes a job way too young.