Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son chose Publuc school over an elite private school
That was friends academy and portledge
Chaminade is far from an elite school unless you want a clone
If a religious education is what you want great for you but academically chaminade is far from top privates
My son chose to stay in our public school which recognizing multiple cultures since that is the real world he will live in for the rest of his life.
He will be better adjusted as an ivy commit as a result
Nothing wrong about chaminade if that is what your kid wants but stop fooling yourself if you think that the school is among the elite on Long Island

Having gone to one of the elite privates myself, there is nothing elite about them either. Private elite schools are pricey and have wealthy families, thus networking is the key draw. Education is average and many teachers are not as qualified or experts in their field because the pay is sub par to a LI public teacher salary. That said, my teachers were passionate and I remain in touch with many today. Furthermore, while money can buy a lot of great experiences, build new libraries etc. public schools have state of the art facilities in many of the LI districts. They also bring in the most qualified and in demand teacher's as they pay the highest. The academics are no better in a private school. The one difference I saw back then was service to the community. Public schools lacked in this area but many are now adding that to their curriculum, especially schools with special diploma programs. Don't get me wrong- private was great- but it's not elite- just the price tag. Chaminade and many publics are easily on par or better than privates, especially concerning academics. What I think people like Chaminade for is the religious, all boys, rigorous program. Kids are taught in order to succeed you must work hard and there is a lot of homework and tests. It is academically competitive throughout the school and not just the top 20 percent, like a public school. If you are an excellent student with good work values, you can get the same experience in a public school minus the single sex. Public school academics can get muddled with behavior issues during class time, which does happen. Kids aren't all as invested because not everyone cares to be a top student- that's what makes Chaminade a bit different academically. You need to know your kid and should chose a school that fits your kid as a whole.