Originally Posted by Anonymous
US Lacrosse endorsed recent actions by the men’s and women’s coaches associations and urged the NCAA to adopt legislative proposals that restrict the recruiting calendar, including all communication between a coach and prospect, to after Sept.1of a prospect’s junior year of high school. The Intercollegiate Men’s Lacrosse Coaches Association voted Friday to support proposals forwarded to the NCAA three months earlier by the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association that ban college coaches from any contact with prospects before that time. The IWLCA proposals are being considered by the NCAA’s student-athlete experience committee.

A similar proposal was presented to the NCAA a few years ago and the NCAA took no action. I am hopeful that this time they step up and make this proposal the official guideline for recruiting. With both the college men's and women's coaches and US Lacrosse endorsing this proposal hopefully the NCAA will realize the importance of eliminating early recruiting and if they do adopt this that the NCAA put some "teeth" for violations of early recruiting. Without any strong penalties for violations, early recruiting will continue. Many 13 and 14 year olds are looking at where they want to go to high school let alone putting pressure on them to decide where they want to go to college. From what I have been told early recruiting is running rampant in football and basketball so this is why I am skeptical that they will endorse this proposal for lacrosse but I am hoping it will be adopted. At this point I sometimes feel the NCAA doesn't really care about this but if the "powers to be" in lacrosse make them care it will be adopted.