Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just because your daughter goes to a top 10 lacrosse school does not automatically equal success later in life. If se goes to any school to play a a sport and not concentrate on a major, she might get a job because of the name on the top of the degree, but if she only knows how to play lacrosse I guarantee you she will not have that job for long. If you looked at other threads you would have seen that the discussion of majors recently came up on another girls thread. I looked at the majors of some of the top schools and it basically came down to over a third of these schools were either uncommitted, in majors that are "lacrosse friendly", or are the equivalent of basket weaving or gym teacher majors. Maryland being the worst with over half there roster either uncommitted, or in a major called "Letters and Science", which is a major for uncommitted majors. Florida was second worst. I just looked at NU and they are one of the best along with "cuse. Princeton does not list majors, but Cornell did with one third going for hotel management. My daughter is going to a lower D1 school right now for one of the forbidden majors (nursing, medical, engineering, architecture) and is being coached by a woman that went to a major D1 college and has to continue her education at this school because the coaches did not want her to pursue one of those majors.

Moral of the story, don't assume your kid will get a good job because of the school she attended, and don't look down your nose at the lower ranked schools because your daughter might be going to finish her education there..... at an added pirce

I think that it is you who is looking down your nose. My point was very simple, Challenge yourself. It is possible to do well in the classroom and on the field.
If your child was offered a spot at one of the best universities in the country and she/you opted to go to a less competitive school that was her/your choice.
You are very confused I think. First of all my daughter chose a balance between her future career and lacrosse knowing full well that the lacrosse only has 4 years left. After speaking with many grads, many of witch had to enroll in another school to receive the degree they need to further there career, she decided to fallow the career path knowing that she will never play for a national championship. If a girl and her family have the money to pay for college after her lacrosse career ends, than more power to them. We were very fortunate to receive a very lucrative offer from a lower D1 that would allow her to major in her choice, start as a freshman, and finish her degree in 4 to 5 years, witch is the least amount of time she needs for her career. Knowing that there are no full rides, and even at a State school with lower tuition, she decided to take the offer to reach her academic goals as quickly as possible. With all that being said, her schedule is extremely demanding. the amount of money given does mean a lot of work, 2 a day practice (including lifts), time trials, travel, team obligations, school work, off campus requirements for her major, and the subsequent make up practices all keep her very busy. But at least she will be done in a decent amount of time, and she still playing the game she loves. Besides, in five years no one will even remember her lacrosse career like 99.9% of all our daughters. she'll just be in less debt.

I hope she wasn't an English major.
What makes people like you tic. Are you so unhappy in your life that you need to sit at home and send snarky ,nasty posts on a youth lacrosse site. Here is something you should think about, no matter what school your daughter attends, if she takes after you she will be nothing but a petty, small minded bully. Never think the name on the top of the degree gives you class, or insures success.
wow nice edit so much for freedom of thought or speech