Originally Posted by Anonymous
The HS team should always come first. Always.

Easy there Coach. HS team should always come first in the Spring. NEVER, EVER, in the summer. That's the kid's time, and the family time.

I'm not a coach. I'm a dad. In our area, the HS always comes first. Those are the kids you go to school with. The clubs down here always try to schedule around the HS focused tournaments, but everyone understands that the HS comes first.

So it's OK in the summer , for 4 or 5 of your best players to not come to your club team showcase because their HS decided to do something last minut? Is that fair to the other 20 players on club team? I think it's unfair of HS coaches to expect that in the summer. The reality is , most of the HS coaches are competing for same dollar as the other clubs. It's a blatant conflict and no one will ever address it. You think its OK for a HS coach to dictate what club your kid plays for? I certainly don't.

Well said.

Complete conflict of interest. Where is the distinction between "High School Team" and "Pay to Play for profit HS/Town Team"? Are they now considered one and the same?

In addition to the evident conflict of interest there is now a degree of negligence. Over the past few years the fall and summer lacrosse tournament circuit has change. College Coaches are recruiting earlier and they are doing their recruiting at the events that have the Top Club Teams competing. Anyone who is advising, telling, asking, coercing etc... strong players to forgo playing for a Top Club Team does not have the players best interest in mind.

The Top Club Teams play in the most competitive tournaments and attract the most college coaches. When the kids are younger (pre recruiting) it is about competing against the best in order to improve. Once recruiting begins playing in front of the most coaches in competitive situations becomes important as well. Once committed, the players future college coaches will want the player to continue to develop and play against the best competition possible.

I have never heard of anyone prioritizing Club Team ahead of School Team.