Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have no idea. I rather thought that at schools where there are less than 100 boys in a class at a school that costs a fortune to run that enabling 5-10 lacrosse and then 10-15 football and then 3-4 basketball recruits a year would...I don't know, maybe CHEAPEN the school? I get it that some local preps have top football teams or basketball. Seems like a dopey investment unless it stokes up alumni giving like for a college. I went to a prep school and couldn't imagine being someone decades removed from high school giving a flying $&&@ about the sports team rankings or record, or using that to make a determination on donating money. I guess this is why I just don't get it with the whole recruiting for high school think. Makes no economic sense for the schools.

Not sure what Prep school you went to, but at least in Baltimore, you couldn't be more off base. The amount of Alumni that comes to every football and lacrosse game is amazing. The schools send out weekly alumni emails with results of all the sports team that week. Have you been to a McDonogh vs Gilman football game? To a BL vs St Pauls football game? To a BL vs St. Pauls lacrosse game. Any game between Loyola and Calvert Hall?

Why do you think Heyward Bey personally put in lights at McDonogh's football field? Why do you think that Gilman just put in a new turf field for football? Where do you think the multi-million endowments at these schools come from?

Spot on..There is a reason that these Baltimore small enrollment schools have such great sports team..It isnt only the food they fed them there.. One of downsides is that after paying 9 years of full tuition and you are ready for son or daughter to play varsity...They bring in a stud or studesss on a scholarship who will never let you start the rest of your time at school. And that does happen as I have talked to several pissed off parents... But oh well the Alumni get to watch top talent.

Well that makes my day the rich guy who paied 30K a year for middle and high school for his kid. Had his son beat out for Varsity by a poor kid from DC. Let me think if I am going to lose any sleep over this. This is the most white privilege statement I have ever read. Your kid will get Millions when you die. I think he will live sitting on the bench because the poor kid is better.