Originally Posted by Anonymous
There are thousands of posts back and forth here and on other threads. It all boils down to this: the prep schools don't have rules in regards to repeating grades, so there shouldn't be any problem with this issue insofar as prep school play is concerned. Public schools do have rules stating you can't reclassify for discretionary reasons. If you want that option, you have to go via a private school.

The clubs in this sport go by graduation years as well, and that makes lacrosse different from most other sports that are simply age based. I've never read anything that shows a good cause to be different and do grade based instead of age based youth teams. Many posters have also noted that college coaches do not care if a kid is old for his class, and may prefer it, which is fine. Posters noted that at clubs tournaments college coaches get both the age and the school year from the books issued and could not be confused about either. Since club lacrosse is not a school sport or a school league, why fight so hard against just doing age based teams like the other youth sports? The best players are still the best players, the best athletes are still the best athletes and everyone can read what grade a kid is in.

The point that always gets ignored is rec or club lacrosse is not a great big scholastic sport. It has literally nothing at all to do in any way with schools, school leagues or school rules and requirements. By the reasoning on this board, what would you do with a 16 year old who graduated young from high school? Tell him he can't play because he skipped grades on discretion instead of repeated them on discretion? That makes no sense.

This is a easy one have the kid play with the other 16 year olds. Would we all be yelling for a 16 year old in 12th grade must play 2016 team. I think not he would say I am 16 years old can I play with the 2018 team and everyone would say sure no problem